Login
The new and improved site is great and filled with wondrous ideas - I get pumped up everytime I get to go on it.
- Tonya Daugherty
Protect My Ministry Background Checks Kidology Online Training ToyBox Tales Kidology on Facebook

Discussion Forums

Active Topics  |  Search  |  Help
Let's Talk Children's Ministry
 Kidology Forums : Let's Talk Children's Ministry
Subject Topic: Unified Curriculum/Theme Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
James Buchanan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 23 February 2005 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote James Buchanan

In August, we are going to a new Sunday Morning format where all Sunday Morning Ministries (2nd grade on up) will teach on the same topic/passage as the adult worship services...

Has anyone done this?  What were the benefits and challengers of doing this....

To clarify, we are not looking at a program like faith weaver.....we will actually be developing our lesson off of where the Senior Pastor is going.....this came out of evaluating what the typically family gets in a week here at church and found out that the family is trying to assimilate 3-5 different topics and lessons each week....

For instance, in August we will be teaching on leadership and then late fall Galatians.....

The goal of this is for the family to be getting the same thing and then hopefullly during the week can assimilate the central teaching into their life.....we will also develop a family devotional guide that will attempt to have ideas, suggestions and discussion pointers for each age level......we think this will be a good format for us though I think it will be a challenge on the kids side depending on where the SP goes in his teaching.....

Any ideas, suggestions, advice etc.....

Pastor James, AZ

Back to Top View James Buchanan's Profile Search for other posts by James Buchanan Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Seeds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 23 February 2005 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote Seeds

We are a small church and only have a preschool class and a 1st - 5th grade class. And we were teaching different things, but lately, we have tried to line our lessons up with each other where we are teaching on the same thing. It would be difficult for me to teach on the same thing as the senior pastor because of our situation, but I think even just teaching the same things to the kids makes a difference. Even if you teach the same thing to the kids, the siblings can go home and discuss their lessons and talk about the different ways they learned about the story. (Does that make sense?)

Rachel
Back to Top View Seeds's Profile Search for other posts by Seeds Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Asburykids
Premium Member
Premium Member
Terry Johnson

Posted: 23 February 2005 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote Asburykids

We are doing this...to a point. We have picked 4 series that our pastor is doing to teach our kids. We had some trouble finding good teaching for kids on subjects that concern parents and adults. In the past it was fun - we have the same vision as you in getting the family onthe same page. Our motivation for doing this is to have the parents ask the kids..."What did you learn today?" The 5th grader says, I learned how to be a good steward with my money, the parents look at each other in amazement knowing that they learned the same thing too. Then the 4-year-old pipes up and says "I learned that my money is God's money." Then we have had a family devotion guide similar to what Northpoint has put out for Family Times. It gives the parents something to talk about at meals, in the car, in the morning, and at night. This stems from the verse  in Deuteronomy 6:7 - "Impress them upon your children. Talk about them when you sit at home (meal time) and when you walk along the road (drive time in the car), when you lie down (at bed) and when you get up (morning). This has worked great and really has given our church a sense of family.

Terry

Back to Top View Asburykids's Profile Search for other posts by Asburykids Visit Asburykids's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

James Buchanan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 23 February 2005 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote James Buchanan

Thanks for the insight......I do have a question about how far in advance you are planning and what is realistic......do you need a week, 2 weeks, a month etc.....

Right now our Pastor doesn't think he can have details more than a couple weeks out......

How did you come up with your material......adapt existing, write your own or pull from everywhere?

Pastor James, AZ

Back to Top View James Buchanan's Profile Search for other posts by James Buchanan Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Seeds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 23 February 2005 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote Seeds

I'm curious, too because I think it would be a great idea. My pastor only has his stuff done about 2 weeks in advance, though. Maybe this would make us all step up and be on the same page.

Rachel
Back to Top View Seeds's Profile Search for other posts by Seeds Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Asburykids
Premium Member
Premium Member
Terry Johnson

Posted: 23 February 2005 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote Asburykids

We are VERY fortunate to have an organized pastor. He has his entire year planned out - if something major comes up, he will change/adapt his service. We have 5 weekend services so it is important to get the basic themes planned out ahead of time.

Because of that we can plan ours out a year in advance as well.

We try to use the same scripture reference, but with that amount of notice we can do our research if we need to pull from other curriculums, etc. We usually write our own but do pull from different places at times as well.

Terry

Back to Top View Asburykids's Profile Search for other posts by Asburykids Visit Asburykids's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Gerry Galbreath
Premium Member
Premium Member
Gerry Galbreath

Posted: 23 February 2005 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Gerry Galbreath

Any church that has done the purpose driven church campaign should have experience with it.  They encourage all classes to teach on the same subject as the morning woship service for 5 weeks.  They also give some rescources to help.

We did a stewardship campaign several years ago at achurch I was at, as we were raising funds for a new CE wing.  During that time we also had all classes teach on the same subject for four weeks.  We had several months to put it together before we started though.

I also served at a church where we encouraged families to spend one Sunday night per month doing church at home as a family.  We would provide a variety of various activities and ideas to help them put their own devotional together that correlated with whatever series the Pastor had been doing the previous month.  For that we were only preparing one curriculum per month.

The more lead time you can get on something the better it will be.  It would be impossible for me to do something like that here because my pastor doesn't put his sermons together that early.  A lot of times he gives his notes to our A/V guy 30 minutes before the service on Saturday night and the A/V guy frantically puts together a powerpoint presentation to go with it during the worship portion of the service.

I know that when I am putting together a new series or a special service I try to start at least a month in advance to get the skeleton together.  If you were just preparing one lesson for Children's Church you could do it in a week but to put together different lesson plans for multiple classes and try to make them all age appropriate will take some time.

I currently write all of my own Kidz Church curriculum but I have my themes developed at least three months in advance so I can be meditating on it and getting rough ideas together.  The actual scripts don't get written until the week before.  I am only doing it for Kidz Church though.  I am not trying to stick with the same theme for Sunday School Classes.

If you can dedicate 40 hours per week to just writing curriculum or if you have other creative people to help, you can probably pull off something good.  Otherwise you will probably get frustrated or burnt out in a short time.

The easiest way to do something like that is to have many curriculums (and the kidology website) to pull ideas from.  But, it still helps to have as much notice as possible instead of being forced to do it all last minute.

Good luck.

Gerry

Back to Top View Gerry Galbreath's Profile Search for other posts by Gerry Galbreath Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Kidjoni
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Joni Lum, Kidology Champion

Posted: 24 February 2005 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote Kidjoni

I did the purpose driven, and I loved it...especially as a mom with 4 kids.   Now we are using Faithweaver, and i love the integrated learning topics...I'm trying to decide between the value of everyone being able to talk about the same topic at home vs. the ability to teach certain topics that perhaps the older kids need vs. the younger.  For instance, the older 6th could do more on church history/how to study the Bible/etc. that the younger could not...and how to balance a well-rounded teaching of the Bible for the different age levels over time. 
Back to Top View Kidjoni's Profile Search for other posts by Kidjoni Visit Kidjoni's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Runedisc
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 02 March 2005 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote Runedisc

We have done this in a very small way, but have had great responses from the parents especially.   I would draw from a variety of curriculums to compose my lessons.  If you have a passage of Scripture you can usually find something in your current curriculum and/or a site like kidology.  Even if you don't have the same three main points the pastor does, just focusing on the same passage will bring up some common threads for discussion, etc.  I don't think I would worry about matching every detail.  I'd let the Lord work that out in each family unit.   May the Lord bless your efforts, because I can imagine it will be a big job to develop curriculum for all ages in a short time.  I would also ask the Lord to give you a team of a couple people who could help share the load for different ages, etc. 

Another thing we did was do our regular lesson with just a few moment discussion about the same topic our parents are learning.  That was good, but not as good as the whole lesson being based on the same passage.

Back to Top View Runedisc's Profile Search for other posts by Runedisc Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Tana Peckham - Calvary
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Tana Peckham - Calvary

I have just started a new job as children's ministry director at a small Midwest Missouri church. The lead pastor has asked that I create lessons following where he is teaching each week. We've been doing this for about 6 weeks now and it's actually working VERY well. Unfortunately, I am having to write each weeks lesson materials from scratch. He teaches verse by verse and goes really deep. I don't usually get any details from him until the Thursday before each Sunday. It's been a bit of a scramble, but I'm slowly getting ahead of him each week with where I'm going for each week. I have tried to creatively make it kid friendly when some of the verses are pretty big. First we did 3 weeks on the Great Commission, now we are studying the book of Galatians!
The Kids are loving the fact that they can share with their parents some of the same info each week.
Back to Top View Tana Peckham - Calvary's Profile Search for other posts by Tana Peckham - Calvary Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version