Login
Once again, Coach Barney's information and disciple encouraged me to greater heights in my ministry. He continually challenges me to go a bit farther in my events and ministry than I thought possible. That stretching is what keeps me challenged and coming back for more of my Coach's expertise and experience.
-Arline Wenning
Protect My Ministry Background Checks Kidology Online Training Kidology Garage Sale Kidology on Twitter

Discussion Forums

Active Topics  |  Search  |  Help
Let's Talk Children's Ministry
 Kidology Forums : Let's Talk Children's Ministry
Subject Topic: Transitioning to something new Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
FBCMADkids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 18 August 2016 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote FBCMADkids

Hello! I am new to my church and they have historically done the SBCs RAs/GAs thing. It is a great program, but they have expressed a desire to move on and do something new. I have met with our children's committee and we have all agreed on the elements of what we would like to see (A rotational structure emphasizing the same scripture on a month by month basis that involves a new lesson/activity/game each week). Our time will also have a missional focus as well.

We are kind of starting from scratch, but not really. We need to rebrand our children's ministry and the name and theme of the ministry needs to be focused, intentional, and reflective of who we are.

Anyone have any thoughts on our situation or recommendations on how to come up with a new ministry name?

Thanks!
Back to Top View FBCMADkids's Profile Search for other posts by FBCMADkids Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

msdawn
Premium Member
Premium Member
Kidmin Pro Team Member

Posted: 31 August 2016 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote msdawn

Last year we structured our Wednesday nights on a similar model. We used Jumpstart3 songs, one each month, as the core of what we did, and then taught on those verse all month long. We used three rotations--music/worship, teaching (each week) and game/service/craft (divided between the weeks of each month.)

We want our kids, called HiSKidZ, to "worship, serve, discover and share Jesus with those around them and the world" as we help them "find and follow Jesus forever."

"Find and follow" is the what, "W,S,D,S" is the how we will accomplish the what!

As far as a name, don't overthink it. Pray and ask God and see what He leads you to. If I can be of any other help, please let me know.--Dawn

Back to Top View msdawn's Profile Search for other posts by msdawn Visit msdawn's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

bec24_03@yahoo.com
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 06 September 2016 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote bec24_03@yahoo.com

Dawn~
How has that structure worked for you so far? We just started a new Wednesday night ministry last week and I've decided we are going to do basically the same 3 rotations! I started with Group's Faithweaver Friends but the more time I spent with it I felt a lot was too kiddish or just not a good activity. One rotation will be reading/discussing scripture that they learned on Sunday, another music, and the third either game/craft/service project. Also once a month we are going to go into the community to do a service project! This month will be making cards for each county/city officer, delivering them along with goodies and praying for them...next month will be visiting the assisted living facility and just playing board games and spending time with them! I'm excited and nervous to see how it will work but I think the kids will enjoy it and learn more than with the previous program!
Also our program is called SLAM (Serving God, Loving others And Making friends)
~Becky
Back to Top View bec24_03@yahoo.com's Profile Search for other posts by bec24_03@yahoo.com Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

msdawn
Premium Member
Premium Member
Kidmin Pro Team Member

Posted: 06 September 2016 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote msdawn

It has worked really well and it fits perfectly with our core values of discipleship through worship, study and serving. The kids, leaders and parents have loved it as they have seen fruit and excitement building in their kids about their faith. For us, using Jumpstart as a starting point has been big also because it has allowed even our kids with special needs to learn every verse this year.
Love the name, btw! Keep in touch, I'd love to hear how it's going!

Back to Top View msdawn's Profile Search for other posts by msdawn Visit msdawn's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Peter@zoarbaptist.org
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Peter@zoarbaptist.org

If you are at an SBC church I would look at Lifeway's Team Kid. It has many of the same elements you are looking for each night. For missions application, I would look into IMB "Kids On Mission" its a very good flexible resource you can plug in on Wednesday nights or Sunday morning.
Back to Top View Peter@zoarbaptist.org's Profile Search for other posts by Peter@zoarbaptist.org Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

FBCMADkids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote FBCMADkids

Peter,

Thanks for your reply! I forgot to update this post . . . We ended up going with TeamKID and have been customizing it for our needs. They use Kid on Mission for their mission emphasis. Our struggle has been working within a short time-frame between our Wed. night dinner and children's choir. We are making it work though!
Back to Top View FBCMADkids's Profile Search for other posts by FBCMADkids Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

What is TeamKID? Can you tell us a little about it? Web site?
Back to Top View Kidologist's Profile Search for other posts by Kidologist Visit Kidologist's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

franktan14123
Premium Member
Premium Member
Frank Tan, Kidology Content Coordinator

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote franktan14123

TeamKID is a Lifeway program Click here for more details.

FBCMADkids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 13 March 2017 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote FBCMADkids

Karl and others,

Just an update on how we have made TeamKID work. It is designed to be anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half long. We have had a few growing pains as our children's ministry has grown by about 50% in regular participation the past nine months. We have had to adapt TeamKID to squeeze in children's choir in to that 1.5 hour time frame so we have set up our schedule like this.

One thing we did that has gone over very well is for the Warm-Up time, we made it a family warm-up time. We have our "Warm-Up" craft room set up just down the hall from our fellowship hall. Parents and children go to that room to do their (warm-up)craft together.

Like many curricula, TeamKID is very rich with resources and options. What has been key for us the past few months is communication with our Children's Leadership Team and flexibility!

p.s.--Karl if you ever come to Alabama, let me know :-).

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 14 March 2017 at 12:10am | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

thanks for the info john! I'd love to come to Alabama! Why don't ya book me for a kids event or volunteer training??

I was just there in Orange Beach last month!
Back to Top View Kidologist's Profile Search for other posts by Kidologist Visit Kidologist's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version